Monday 5 November 2012

INTANGIBLE CULTURAL HERITAGE


I read this recently and liked it a lot. 

Very often when someone would tell a great, long tale, and particularly if it was one that someone had heard part of, perhaps from his grandmother’s sister or somebody far back, they would say, “God’s blessing be with you, my man. Isn’t it a long time since I last heard part of that tale? Then most people would say, “Many thanks to you. Many thanks to you. That was certainly a wonderful story to listen to.” Joe Neil MacNeil (1908-2000), Cape Breton Gaelic storyteller (MacNeil, 1987, pp. 34-35) 

There are many different types of storytelling. Story telling that connects us to our past is important. I discovered today that there is an Oral Tradition Association of Zimbabwe. I look forward to finding out more about it. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment