Sunday 7 October 2012

Artists and the MP

What an especially busy and interesting weekend.
On Saturday I spent an hour or two weeding the children's books at the Mount Pleasant Branch. Whilst I was there local artists Christine Ndoro and Tich Majena (of the Suburban News that kindly gave the library several months of free columns space to write about the library) began painting the story telling corner. They are working with my friend and fellow library volunteer Chipo Nzonzo. What a networker she is, several people passed by to say hie and find out what was happening. That is exactly what we need, curious people. I am sure this corner is going to be done in a week or two so here is the before picture (again) and I hope to WOW you soon with the finished mural.

On Sunday (today) I was very lucky to attend a lunch organised by my friend and fellow HCL committee member Devi Pakkiri (and incidently one of the three Ministry appointed librarians) to which a number of Mabelreign residents, including our local MP Jesse Majome, were also there. The idea was to raise some funds for Mabelreign and fix it up as the floor, windows and general space is really quite broken down. What a lovely idea and one I might consider myself ($10 a head, volunteers to bring the food so little cost there and a hosting house with lots of space to chat and meet). Should be covered by The Suburban monthly newspaper so look out for that article.

Our lovely MP Jesse told me she is a former Albert Beit School student and has memories of using the now dilapidated space and is firmly on board to support the effort (she is already organising book for school libraries in her constituency). I look forward to this collaboration. I have a vision for a mural on the outside library wall at Mabelreign. I am hoping that together we can make this happen.

In addition, a very dynamic chap called Arthur Shaba is very community minded (recently showcased in The Daily News) and is working across the Mabelreign community. We agreed to find a way to help each other in our mutual efforts.  I also met a lovely lady who teaches part time at Westridge School and who would would like to get involved, especially literacy support, from early new year. Fab!

So the story continues and both Mount Pleasant and Mabelreign are seeing progress. All community led, all driven by volunteers. How seriously cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment