Friday 21 September 2012

Three smiling six year olds


Hello. What a lovely Friday afternoon I am having. Can I tell you why?

I went to the Mount Pleasant Branch to go meet my lovely group of reading volunteers that I am so lucky to know. Better friends you could not come across. Today Deborah, Justine, Chipo and Lindiwe met with myself, Thuthani and Tinashe (who is now working at the branch and is an Information Studies Student). Cool. 

We talked about spending regular time sorting out the books, labelling and sorting as well as agreeing Friday afternoons that we are free to read. We are also brainstorming 1000 book titles by children's authors (ages 7 years to 16 years). So it looks like we will be able to go through the shelves, get the reading corner decorated and spend time reading to children who live nearby. Fabulous. 
 That's not all. As our brief meeting came to an end there were several children hanging around waiting to be collected from school. So, I asked if they wanted a story read and gosh! did they grin from ear to ear.

I pulled out the story box, we looked through it and picked 2 stories. The first was an adaption of a Grimm Fairy Tale: The Magic Porridge Pot.  Mudsi, Malvin and Wanasi (all 6 years old) loved the idea of sweet porridge on demand and thought is fabulous that at the end the villagers had to eat their way home after the pot spilled and spilled and spilled the porridge out. We were barely done with the Monster Stories (Daisy and the Dragon) when the children were collected. 

Normally we read 2pm to 3pm so we only got started after 3pm because of our meeting. A good start to the third term never the less. I am sure these youngsters will help spread the word :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment